Thursday, July 21, 2011

Super Natural Every Day.......my thoughts

Just finished making Kale Salad from Heidi Swanson's "Super Natural Every Day."  Loved it!  Super easy and yes, super natural.  Great collection of simple and (for some reason i want to use the word "robust" so i will) robust recipes.  Good ingredients, easy directions and not too many dishes to clean up.  Very pleased with healthy vegetarian recipes that don't rely on fake meat like stuff made from soy extracts (pet peeve.) Maybe because it's 101 degrees today but I think most of the recipes would be better suited for cooler temperatures as they are quite homey and comforting.  None the less, a great book to add to the shelf.  When the temperature goes down to 90, maybe I'll make the chickpea stew and in the mean time, perhaps the cucumber cooler or watermelon salad will keep me refreshed.

I took artistic license with my version and changed a few things: swapped olive oil for coconut oil and used less, added chickpeas instead of farro, added some rice vinegar, and crushed red pepper for some heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment