Monday, July 11, 2011

Cucumber infused gin gimlet



Infusing alcohol is my new favorite past-time.  Infuse:  to steep in liquid (like alcohol) without boiling so as to extract the soluble constituents or principles (thank you Webster.)  So what I've been spending time doing is putting vegetables, fruits, and herbs in alcohol to reinvent my favorite cocktails.  Waiting patiently, until they have reached a point of greatness is the hardest part.  The best part is the limitless possibilities of flavor combinations.  Here, I have elevated the classic gimlet to a new level of freshness by infusing gin with cucumbers.  

And might I take a moment to share that I've had just about enough of the endless flavored alcohols filling liquor store shelves.  Really, "Dude" flavored vodka?  This is out of hand and I don't trust these flavored concoctions.  I don't know how they get the vodka to taste like a dude and I don't want to know.  I imagine there is added sugars involved and other things that a "food scientist" had to create in a lab.  I try not to ingest anything that a "food scientist" had a hand in making, which is why I opt to make my own infusions. 

Cucumber Infused Gimlet

2 oz gin infused with cucumber*
1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
splash of Rose's lime juice
optional splash of club soda if you what a sissy drink

Combine all ingredients, except the optional club soda, plus some ice in a cocktail shaker and shake, shake, shake.  Strain into a martini glass to enjoy "up" or pour over ice and top with club soda for a less aggressive beverage.

Cucumber Gin

In a glass vessel, combine the desired amount of gin with thinly sliced organic cucumbers.  Make sure you wash the cucumber well and avoid bruised or mushy cucumbers.  Let this concoction steep in the refrigerator for several days.  The longer it steeps the better, but three days should get you gin that has captured the essence of cucumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment